Master of Science Program
The Biotechnology program includes courses and seminars on gene engineering, molecular biology, pharmacology, bioinformatics, neurosciences and a range of additional subjects that students can elect as options. Students also receive extensive hands-on training in a well-equipped molecular biology laboratory and a brand new bioinformatics laboratory.
|| Apply now!
|Modes and duration
Full time: 2 years
No tuition fee for the applicants who pass the selection process
Open: December 16, 2016
Close: July 16, 2017Coming selection round dates: July 6-7, 2017
Submit your application for the coming selection round till: June 19, 2017
Master of Science in Biotechnology
|Language of instruction
Program is accredited by the Russian Government, certificate № 1123 from October 13, 2014
Relevant bachelor’s degree, or its equivalent in Biology, Chemistry, IT, Physics, Medicine.
|English language requirements
If your education has not been conducted in the English language, you will be expected to demonstrate evidence of an adequate level of English proficiency.
The Key features of the Biotechnology program are:
- Cutting edge research in data-intensive biomedicine and biotechnologies
- Covers the lack of biotechnology educational programs in Russia
- Special emphasis on bioinformatics and mathematical biology methods and approaches
- Provides a unique educational environment in the fields of biomedicine and biotechnology
- Renowned faculty with international experience and collaborations
- Incorporates a variety of disciplines covering major topics in modern and medical biotechnologies and lab practice within the individual educational track
- Diverse and strong collaboration with international and Russian partners including MIT, Harvard Medical School, Pasteur Institute and others
- Publications in top journals
The Objectives of the Biotechnology program are:
- to learn from the best international experts
- to work on breakthrough scientific projects
- to acquire hands-on experience in biotech business
In the first year we offer courses and seminars and extensive hands-on training in a well-equipped molecular biology teaching laboratory and a brand new bioinformatics teaching laboratory. In addition to courses in the broad area of life science, students are expected to take courses in innovation and entrepreneurship, as well as at least one industry immersion program with our industrial partners. During the second year of the program, students complete individual research projects under the supervision of Skoltech faculty in the Data-Intensive Biomedicine and Biotechnology Centers of Research, Education, and Innovation, followed by their master’s thesis defense.
Learning & Professional outcomes
A successful graduate of the program will know and be able to:
- Apply knowledge of mathematics and science;
- Design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data;
- Function in multi-disciplinary teams;
- Identify, formulate and solve problems in biotechnology;
- Communicate effectively;
- Use the techniques, skills, and modern technological tools necessary for biotechnological practice;
- A recognition of the need for, and an ability to engage in life-long learning;
- A knowledge of contemporary issues;
- A knowledge of probability and statistics, including applications appropriate to the biotechnology program and objectives.
Career opportunities and paths
Students engage with Biotech business and entrepreneurship and work closely with innovative companies. Understanding how biomedical business works helps not only to choose a more successful career path, but also to become a more efficient researcher. This is why Skoltech embeds several industry immersion programs into the curriculum, which are organized in partnership both with large established companies and early stage start-ups.
In addition, students take courses on innovation management and entrepreneurship.
- PhD positions in academic & research institutions
- Specialist positions such as Biochemist, Bioinformatician, Biomedical Engineer in related Biomed economy sectors as well as Skolkovo resident companies and startups
- Georgii Bazykin, Assistant Professor
- Dmitry Chudakov, Associate Professor
- Mikhail Gelfand, Professor
- Philipp Khaitovich, Professor
- Dmitri Papatsenko, Assistant Professor
- Dmitri Pervouchine, Assistant Professor
- Petr Sergiev, Associate Professor
- Konstantin Severinov, Professor, Director of the Center for Data-Intensive Biomedicine and Biotechnology
- Vladimir Zelman, Professor
- Olga Dontsova, Professor
- Raul Gainetdinov, Professor
- Rupert Gerzer, Professor, Provost, Director of Skoltech Center for Translational Biomedicine
- Yuri Kotelevtsev, Professor, Associate Director, Skoltech Center for Translational Biomedical Research
- Victor Kotelianski, Professor
- Timofei Zatsepin, Associate Professor
Main research areas:
- Integrative analysis of genetic, transcriptomic and metabolomic data from modern and archaic humans
- Bacterial CRISPR-Cas immunity; genome editing, new antibiotics
- Study of Long Noncoding RNA in cancer and liver pathology, targeted and non-targeted drug delivery
- Dopamine transporters, receptors, signal transduction and GPCR regulatory mechanisms in dopamine-related functions and behaviors
- The ubiquitin ligases in cancer
- Variation of gene expression in adult and embryonic stem cells and stem cell subpopulations.
Student success stories
- Sergey Shmakov – Scientific Achievement 2015: Discovery of novel CRISPR-Cas systems.