Master of Science Program
The main scope of the Data Science program is to train students in using state-of-the-art techniques of machine learning and data analytics, with a focus on real-world applications of these emerging technologies. Students will learn how to develop automated methods to analyze massive amounts of data with the goal of extracting knowledge from them to create an impact on organizational decisions. The graduates of the program are trained to perform original research in their chosen area of machine learning and data analytics and apply the results of their research in an industrial context.
|| Apply now!
|Modes and duration
Full time: 2 years
No tuition fee for the applicants who pass the selection process
General submission open: December 16, 2016
General submission close: July 16, 2017
First Selection Weekend dates: April 22-23, 2017
Submit your application for the first Selection Weekend till: March 30, 2017
Deadlines for other Selection Weekends will be published after March 30, 2017.
Master of Science in Mathematics and Computer Science
|Language of instruction
Program is accredited by the Russian Government, certificate № 1123 from October 13, 2014
Successful candidates must know:
- Differential equations
- Linear algebra
- Basic probability, random processes and mathematical statistics
- Discrete mathematics (including graph theory and basic algorithms)
IT related bachelor’s degree, or its equivalent in Mathematics, Computer Science, Information and Communication Technology, Applied Physics or other technical areas.
|English language requirements
If your education has not been conducted in the English language, you will be expected to demonstrate evidence of an adequate level of English proficiency.
Machine learning techniques are at the forefront of modern data science and, therefore, courses on different aspects of machine learning constitute an integral component of the program. The application component of the program includes several important topics such as:
- Computer vision
- Industrial data analytics
- Natural language processing
- Image and signal processing
Aims and objectives
The aim of the program is to prepare the technological leaders of the future.The objective of the Data Science MSc program is to bridge the gap between fundamental science and cutting edge computational techniques.
The curriculum of the program contains a balanced combination of topics developed very recently (e.g. deep learning) together with in-depth teaching of mathematical foundations (advanced linear algebra, optimization, high-dimensional statistics etc.).
A successful graduate of the program will know:
- Mathematical and algorithmic foundations of data science. A balanced vision on mathematical foundations and practical tools and applied problems in data science.
- Statements of all major data analysis problems as well as the main approaches to solve them.
- State of the art techniques of data analysis and related areas. Knowledge of main classes of applied problems.
- Main methodological aspects of both scientific research and application development in data science.
A successful graduate of the program will be able to:
- Formulate/model real-world tasks as data analysis problems.
- Choose the most appropriate method to solve a particular data analysis problem.
- Apply data analysis methods in practice using modern data analysis software tools.
- Develop new methods or adapt existing methods to a particular problem.
- Implement algorithms as computer programs.
- Evaluate results of data analysis processes.
- Work with technical literature (e.g. conduct bibliographical research, read and critically analyze scientific articles, use scientific metrics and important databases).
- Present results to different audiences (specialists, users, stakeholders, etc) in an effective oral and written manner.
Career opportunities and paths
The Data Science MSc program was developed to meet the high demand of data science specialists in the growing national and international high-tech market. Graduates of the program may begin an international research career or work with a company (even during the period of study).
Data Science MSc graduates significantly enhance their employability by developing their subject-specific knowledge in the field of data science and machine learning, as well as their analytical and research skills. Students gain the opportunity to obtain early access to the national and international research and innovation landscapes and can approach international employers with confidence. In addition, the program enhances students’ soft skills, enabling students to compete effectively in the job market.
- PhD positions in academic & research institutions
- Specialist positions such as Data Analyst, Data Scientist, Consultant in various economy sectors:
- Skolkovo resident companies and startups
Professor, Director, Skoltech Center for Computational and Data-Intensive Science and Engineering
- Evgeny Burnaev, Associate Professor
- Andrzej Cichocki, Professor
- Maxim Fedorov, Professor, Director, Skoltech Center for Computational and Data-Intensive Science and Engineering
- Stamatios Lefkimmiatis, Assistant Professor
- Victor Lempitsky, Associate Professor
- Ivan Oseledets, Associate Professor
- Athanasios Polimeridis, Assistant Professor
- Alexander Shapeev, Assistant Professor
- Vladimir Spokoiny, Professor
- Denis Zorin, Adjunct Professor
Students are actively involved into research activity starting from Term 3.
Main research areas:
- Machine Learning and Deep Learning
- Industrial Analytics
- Computer Vision
- Image Processing
- High-dimensional statistics and Statistical learning
- Next Generation Multiscale Modeling
- Fast Solvers for Large Scale / High-Dimensional Problems