Photonics and Quantum Materials
Master of Science Program
The Photonics and Quantum Materials program has a strong interdisciplinary research and education nature, performed jointly by experts from different fields, spanning physics, material sciences, mathematics and chemistry.
|| Apply now!
|Modes and duration
Full time: 2 years
No tuition fee for the applicants who pass the selection process
Open: December 16, 2016
Close: July 16, 2017
Master of Science in Applied Mathematics and Physics
|Language of instruction
Program is accredited by the Russian Government, certificate № 1123 from October 13, 2014
Bachelor’s degree, or its equivalent in Physics, Chemistry, Materials Science and Electronics.
|English language requirements
If your education has not been conducted in the English language, you will be expected to demonstrate evidence of an adequate level of English proficiency.
The aim of the program is to provide knowledge and lab expertise in photonics, as well as to prepare students to apply their learning outcomes in fundamental science and engineering for high level research and industrial applications.
Industry immersion, entrepreneurship and innovation are key components of this program.
Academic, Scientific and Innovation outcomes
- Development of transparent, flexible, stretchable and electro-conducting films based on carbon nanotubes for screen sensors
- Development of theoretical backgrounds for quantum solvers and initiation of experimental work together with partners
- Theoretical investigation of metasurfaces, based on superconducting quantum interference devices, for controlling electromagnetic fields
- Investigation of the Integrable models of resonance optics
- Development of computer algorithms for modeling electromagnetic field interaction with hyperbolic metamaterials
- Development of efficient light sources on hybrid quantum materials
Career opportunities and paths
Students graduating with a Master of Science degree in Applied Mathematics and Physics are in great demand throughout the international high-tech market.
- PhD positions in academic & research institutions
- Specialist positions in various economy sectors including Skolkovo resident companies and startups
Professor, Director of the Skoltech Center for Photonics and Quantum Materials
- Natalia Berloff, Professor
- Vladimir Drachev, Adjunct Professor
- Boris Fine, Associate Professor
- Ildar Gabitov, Professor, Director of the Skoltech Center for Photonics and Quantum Materials
- Nikolay Gippius, Professor
- Pavlos Lagoudakis, Professor
- Albert Nasibulin, Professor
- Vasili Perebeinos, Associate Professor
- Mikhail Skvortsov, Associate Professor
Main research areas:
- Synthesis and applications of carbon nanomaterials in transparent and flexible electronics, stretchable electronics
- Developing disruptive technologies and a new generation of hybrid photonic/optoelectronic and quantum devices
- High-level scientific research on the creation and investigation of plasmonics structures and metamaterials for nanobiomedicine and nanoelectronics
- Fundamental investigations and development of optical standards in the field of precision measurements of the fundamental constant variations, quantum models, logical schemes and simulators for metrology and their practical applications