Master of Science Program
The Key features of the Biotechnology program are:
- Cutting edge research in data-intensive biomedicine and biotechnologies;
- Covers the lack of biotechnology educational programs in Russia;
- Special emphasis on bioinformatics and mathematical biology methods and approaches;
- Provides a unique educational environment in the fields of biomedicine and biotechnology;
- Renowned faculty with international experience and collaborations;
- Incorporates a variety of disciplines covering major topics in modern and medical biotechnologies and lab practice within the individual educational track;
- Diverse and strong collaboration with international and Russian partners including MIT, Harvard Medical School, Pasteur Institute and others;
- Publications in top journals.
|Modes and duration
Full time: 2 years
No tuition fee for the applicants who pass the selection process
Open: October 16, 2017
Master of Science in Biotechnology
|Language of instruction
Program is accredited by the Russian Government, certificate № 2568 from April 14, 2017. License № 2534 from February 7, 2017.
Field of Science and Technology
Relevant bachelor’s degree, or its equivalent in Biology, Chemistry, Agro, IT, Physics, Medicine.
|English language requirements
If your education has not been conducted in the English language, you will be expected to demonstrate evidence of an adequate level of English proficiency.
Aim and objectives
The aim of the Program is to train highly qualified researchers both for academia and biotechnology companies:
- to learn from the best international experts in priority areas of Biotechnology;
- to master interdisciplinary approuch to breakthrough scientific projects;
- to acquire hands-on experience in biotech business.
The Biotechnology program includes courses and seminars on gene engineering, molecular biology, pharmacology, bioinformatics, neurosciences and a range of additional subjects that students can elect as options.
In the first year we offer courses and seminars and extensive hands-on training in a well-equipped molecular biology teaching laboratory and a brand new bioinformatics teaching laboratory. In addition to courses in the broad area of life science, students are expected to take courses in innovation and entrepreneurship, as well as at least one industry immersion program with our industrial partners. During the second year of the program, students complete individual research projects under the supervision of Skoltech faculty in the Data-Intensive Biomedicine and Biotechnology Centers of Research, Education, and Innovation, followed by their master’s thesis defense. Curriculum.
Biotechnology MSc Program Structure
Download as PDF
Learning and professional outcomes
A successful graduate of the program will know and be able to:
- Apply knowledge of mathematics and science;
- Design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data;
- Function in multi-disciplinary teams;
- Identify, formulate and solve problems in biotechnology;
- Communicate effectively;
- Use the techniques, skills, and modern technological tools necessary for biotechnological practice;
- A recognition of the need for, and an ability to engage in life-long learning;
- A knowledge of contemporary issues;
- A knowledge of probability and statistics, including applications appropriate to the biotechnology program and objectives.
Students engage with Biotech business and entrepreneurship and work closely with innovative companies. Understanding how biomedical business works helps not only to choose a more successful career path, but also to become a more efficient researcher. This is why Skoltech embeds several industry immersion programs into the curriculum, which are organized in partnership both with large established companies and early stage start-ups.
In addition, students take courses on innovation management and entrepreneurship.
- PhD positions in academic & research institutions
- Specialist positions such as Biochemist, Bioinformatician, Medical Genetics, Biomedical Engineer in related Biomed economy sectors as well as Skolkovo resident companies and startups
- Olga Dontsova, Professor
- Raul Gainetdinov, Professor
- Rupert Gerzer, Professor, Provost, Director of the Skoltech Center for Translational Biomedicine
- Yuri Kotelevtsev, Professor, Interim Director, Skoltech Center for Translational Biomedicine
- Victor Kotelianski, Professor
- Evgeny Nikolaev, Professor
- Konstantin Piatkov, Adjunct Professor
- Timofei Zatsepin, Associate Professor, Associate Director of the Skoltech Center for Translational Biomedicine
Main research areas:
- Bacterial CRISPR-Cas immunity; genome editing, new antibiotics
- Study of Long Noncoding RNA in cancer and liver pathology, targeted and non-targeted drug delivery
- Dopamine transporters, receptors, signal transduction and GPCR regulatory mechanisms in dopamine-related functions and behaviors
- The ubiquitin ligases in cancer
- Variation of gene expression in adult and embryonic stem cells and stem cell subpopulations
- Evolutionary genomics of bacteria
- Three-dimensional structure and functional state of chromatin
Student success stories
Biotech academic partners:
- Immanuel Kant Baltic Federal University
- Far Eastern Federal University
- Kazan Federal University
- Russian State Agrarian University – Moscow Timiryazev Agricultural AcademyBiotech
- M&S Decisions
- ATP Labs Ltd
- Center for Genetic Engineering and Biotechnology (CIGB), BioCubaFarma
- Philip Morris International R&D
- Analytical Spectrometry
- Visual Science