The Systems Engineering course invites you to a guest lecture titled Systems Engineering and Project Management – Crown Jewels of Competitive Enterprises by Prof. Dipl.-Ing. Heinz Stoewer, M.Sc.
When: October 16, 09:00
Where: Big classroom, 3rd floor, Hypercube Building, Skollkovo Innovation Center
Systems Engineering (SE) and Project Management (PM) are mandatory ingredients for managing complex projects. Both contribute to understanding and dealing with complexity in our high-tech world. They should be applied in a closely interrelated and complementary manner to be effective.
This lecture will shortly sketch the basics for both disciplines and demonstrate their interdependence along important technical and programmatic criteria. It will show successful SE and PM practices to prevent project failures.
The lecture will conclude with identifying major challenges for aspiring SEs and PMs and provide them with a few recipes for solving day-to-day system issues and leadership situations.
For more info and registration please contact:
Prof. Dipl.-Ing. Heinz Stoewer:
- Advanced degrees in Technical Physics, Economics and Systems Management from German and US Universities
- 1962 Boelkow KG, Munich, today Airbus Defence and Space, space project engineer/group leader
- 1967 MDAC, USA, today Boeing, various systems and project management positions on “post Apollo” and advanced space transportation projects
- 1973 European Space Agency, ESA, Technical Centre ESTEC, first Programme Manager Spacelab, building Europe’s foundations in “manned space”;
1978 Founder of ESA’s Systems Engineering and Programmatics Department with System Studies, System Integration, Programmatics and Technology R&D Divisions
- 1986 Delft University of Technology, first Professor/Chair for Space Systems Engineering; Founding Director international postgraduate “SpaceTech” Master programme (part-time)
- 1990 Managing Director national and international programmes German Space Agency (DARA GmbH); member/chair of various technical and policy boards, e.g. ESA Council and EO/MET Programme Board, CEAS, European Union Space Advisory Group, et al
- 1995 Founder/President Space Associates GmbH, an international network based company with focus upon space, systems engineering, project management and education
- Current functions and positions include:
- Member Governing Boards of OHB AG, Germany, and Space Research Organization Netherlands (SRON)
- Member Advisory Board Dutch National Space Agency (NSO)
- Advisor Systems Engineering Airbus Corporate Technical Office (CTO)
- Chair Airbus Defence and Space Academy internal Project Reviews and Training Boards, France and Germany
- Distinguished Visiting Scientist NASA JPL, USA
- Fellow and Past President International Council on Systems Engineering (INCOSE)
- Past member German Aerospace Society (DGLR) Senate and Board of Trustees of the International Academy of Astronautics (IAA)
- Emeritus Professor TU Delft and visiting professor at Universities in Japan (Keio) and Singapore (NUS)
- Publications and honours:
- > 90 scientific/technical publications on space and engineering subjects
- Editor/co-editor/contributor of several books
- Editorial boards of international scientific, technical & policy journals
- Member Honorary Council “SpaceTech” and Honorary Member Leonardo da Vinci student association, TU Delft
- National and international honours, amongst which NASA Administrator Public and Special Service Awards; German Parliament (Bundesrat-Senate) Medal
* The Skolkovo Institute of Science and Technology (Skoltech) is a private graduate research university in Skolkovo, Russia, a suburb of Moscow. Established in 2011 in collaboration with MIT, Skoltech educates global leaders in innovation, advances scientific knowledge, and fosters new technologies to address critical issues facing Russia and the world. Applying international research and educational models, the university integrates the best Russian scientific traditions with twenty-first century entrepreneurship and innovation.