Skoltech uses the learning management system (LMS), Canvas, as an instrument for communication between students and faculty in order to encourage teaching and learning activities https://skoltech.instructure.com/login/ldap.
LMS Canvas provides instructors a place to
- share files and message students enrolled to the course,
- create web-based activities such as online assignments, quizzes, and discussions,
- describe assessment criteria and grade assignments,
- reviewing student submissions in case of a final grade appeal by the student,
- give direct links to textbooks requested by instructor and purchased by the library are also added to the course account at LMS by the Education Office,
- track students’ attendance (if needs to be),
- compute students’ final grade based on student performance in the course,
- setup once instructor can re-use course account as a starting template in the following years.
Students benefit from LMS in several ways:
- it shows a list of approaching deadlines on login,
- student sees everything related to a course in a single place,
- all rules related to the course assessment are clear, transparent and available 24/7,
- LMS allows to see the final grade student is going to get as the course runs,
- students can communicate via chats and discussions.
Students enroll in the course via Student Information System (SIS is available via http://sis.skoltech.ru).
Education Department provides training to support faculties to use Canvas actively. Please, contact Boris Kheyfets .