What is an academic trip?
It is a trip of a student outside of Moscow or the Moscow region for one or more working days, in order to fulfill tasks prescribed by his/her educational program or for mastering part of the educational program on the territory or by support of a third-party organization of higher education/ in a scientific organization / company.
All academic trips are arranged according to the current Policy on Student Academic Trips.
Short-term academic trip – is a non-credit-related trip of a student outside of Moscow or the Moscow region for a period of 1 up to 29 calendar days to participate in a scientific event* (s) and fulfill the tasks prescribed by his/her educational program.
*Scientific event – is a scientific conference, seminar, workshop, congress, symposium, school of young scientists, summer school, round table, conducting research, consultations on the thesis project.
How to choose the event
- High-level scientific events accredited by Scopus, Web of Science, etc.
- Held at the one of the world’s leading institutions (QS Ranking),
- Student’s full-time presentation with a paper or poster,
- Established collaboration between Skoltech and a hosting organization.
- BIFI International Conference, Spain
- Haptics Symposium, USA, Italy
- AAPG Imperial Barrel Award (IBA), Czech Republic
- CRISPR Conference, Lithuania
- Data Science Game, France
- Complex Networks, France
- MRS Fall Meeting, USA
- IEEE International Conference on Data Mining series, USA
- Physics Machine Learning conference, USA
- ICNS Conference, USA
- I2MTC 2018, USA
- Hybrid Photonics and Materials Conference, Greece
- International Liver Congress, France
* Detailed Guidelines and Requirements: SIS-Resources-Academic Mobility
Long-term academic trip – is a credit-related trip of a student outside of Moscow or the Moscow region for a period of 1 month up to 4 months (in exceptional cases, up to 1 academic year) to conduct research for the thesis project as part of the educational program in a third-party organization of higher education.
For MSc students, call for proposals for the long-term trips for the Fall Term usually comes in the spring of the previous Academic Year.
How to choose a hosting institution
- World’s top university (QS Ranking),
- Memorandum of Understanding signed University,
- Established collaboration between Skoltech and the hosting university.
*Detailed Guidelines and Requirements: SIS-Resources-Academic Mobility
Academic trips as part of the Industrial Internship (for 1st Year MSc Students) are possible, but exceptional.
Industrial Internship is a compulsory element of the Curriculum. You can see Rules and Timeline for this project in SIS. Academic trips as part of this educational element are possible only if approved and recommended within the specified rules and process.
Timeline for students
- - 3 weeks prior to any deadline for fees payments
- - 4-6 weeks prior for any trip involving visa processing
- - 2 weeks prior to the start of the trip
- - 1 month prior to the start of the trip
- - by the deadline announced in the competition call for MSc students
Approval Process and Selection Criteria
Checklist of Application Documents
- MSc Student Short-term trip Assignment form (in doc.)
- Motivation Letter (PDF file)
- Research advisor recommendation
- Letter of invitation/acceptance from host institution
- Information on the Event
- Materials for Presentation