Skoltech was founded on October 25, 2011 by a collaboration of nine Russian institutions and organizations:
- Moscow Institute of Physics and Technology
- Tomsk Polytechnic University
- Moscow School of Management Skolkovo
- New Economic School
- Russian Venture Company (RVC)
- Bank for Development and Foreign Economic Affairs (Vnesheconombank)
- Foundation for the Assistance to Small Innovative Enterprises in Science and Technology
- RAS Scientific Center in Chernogolovka
On October 26, 2011, the newly created Skoltech signed a trilateral agreement with the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) and the Skolkovo Foundation to launch the first three years of a collaboration to build capacity in education, research, and entrepreneurship programs at Skoltech.
In the fall 2012, Skoltech accepted 20 Master’s degree students into its first class for programs in Energy Science and Technology and Information Science and Technology. After a unique pilot program 45 new M.Sc. students from Russia and around the world joined them for three programs in Information Science and Technology, Energy Science and Technology, and Biomedicine Science and Technology.