Horizon 2020 is the new EU Framework programme for funding research and innovation, run from 2014 to 2020 with a budget of €80 billion. It is designed to bring more good ideas to the market. http://ec.europa.eu/programmes/horizon2020/en/
Priorities of H2020:
Excellent science: a dedicated budget of € 24 598 million aiming to provide a boost to top-level research in Europe, including an increase in funding of 77% for the very successful European Research Council (ERC).
Industrial leadership: providing € 17 938 million committed to major investment in key technologies, greater access to capital and support for SMEs. Societal challenges: € 31 748 million targeting to help address major concerns shared by all Europeans including climate change, developing sustainable transport and mobility, making renewable energy more affordable, ensuring food safety and security, or coping with the challenge of an ageing population.
General Rules of participation
- Only consortium of three countries could submit a proposal
- Each of the three shall be EU member or Associated Country member;
- No two of the three may be from the same EU countries or Associated Countries (http://www.fp7-energy.ru/EUmember.php).
- The members of any consortium wishing to participate in an action shall appoint one of them to act as coordinator which shall be identified in the grant agreement.
- The members of a consortium participating in an action shall conclude an internal agreement (the consortium agreement).
- Experience in participation in former EU framework programmes is a strong benefit.
Russia rules of participation (ARE NOT APPLICABLE UNTIL FALL 2019)
- Countries such as China, Brazil, Russia, India and other economies that have grown strongly over the past years will continue to be important partners for the EU. This is reflected in the fact that all of these countries will still be able to participate in all parts of Horizon 2020, allowing their researchers to cooperate with their counterparts in the EU on topics of their choice. Some of these countries, and in particular those where GDP is exceptionally large, will, however, no longer enjoy automatic access to EU funding. This reflects the fact that these countries have over the past years made considerable efforts to invest in their research and innovation system and strengthen its quality. These countries are therefore now capable to cooperate with the EU on the basis of a partnership among equals.
- To support Russian participation in Horizon 2020 actions and in view of the fact that participants from Russia are no longer automatically funded by the EU, the Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation publishes dedicated calls to offer funding support for Russian Horizon 2020 participants in accordance with its own call procedures (Russian Federal Programme (FTP) “R&D in Priority Areas of Development of the Russian S&T Complex 2014-2020″). Russian applicants to these calls will have to provide a document acknowledging their participation in the consortium of the joint Horizon 2020 proposal, submitted under the Horizon 2020 call.
- The Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation will on a regular basis select Horizon 2020 topics and calls which are of priority interest for the Russian Federation. From the list of currently open Horizon 2020 calls, the Ministry of Education and Science has highlighted the following subjects of priority interest: http://ec.europa.eu/research/participants/data/ref/h2020/other/hi/h2020_localsupp_russia_en.pdf
Life Cycle of H2020
- Web portal registration (Skoltech had been registered with Participant Portal, Participant Identification Code (PIC) could be sent by request)
- Submission of the Proposal
- Evaluation of the Proposal
- Negotiations with Eurocomission
- Grant Agreement
- Project Implementation
To be a Horizon 2020 Expert You have a chance of being selected as an expert if you:
- Have a high-level of expertise in the relevant fields of research and innovation
- Can be available for occasional, short-term assignments. http://ec.europa.eu/research/participants/portal/page/experts
The H2020 is over soon. About new European Programme (FP8?) you can ready HERE!